Rules and Regulations
Ninety Niner Cycle Tour Rules and Regulations
(HEREINAFTER REFERRED TO AS “THE TOUR”)
RACE RULES (INCLUDING TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY)
All participants must comply with the following rules, terms of conditions. Disregard for any of it will be deemed sufficient grounds for disqualification.
Cycling South Africa (“CSA”) have sanctioned this race.
Every participant may only ride a human powered bicycle or an E-Bike (as further described in clause 5 below) to complete the course.
- Participants that cycle on only a human powered bicycle may enter in either the 100km or 51km race:
Participants that enter to cycle on an E-Bike may only enter the Individual race for the 100km or 51km race.
- To compete in the Tour, an individual participant must, in the year of the event turn:
1. 13 (thirteen) years old (minimum age); or
2. if 12 (twelve) years old, be accompanied by an adult.
- To compete in the Tour, tandem riders must, in the year of the event turn:
1. 13 (thirteen) years old (minimum age); or
2. if 10 (ten) -12 (twelve) years old, be accompanied by an adult.
3. Minors (below 18 years old) may not participate in the Tour unless his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have agreed to be bound by the race rules.
1. In this clause the term “E-Bike” means a bicycle that can be powered by electricity as well as propelled by pedals.
2. Should a participant wish to compete in the Tour by using an E-Bike, such participant must select the E-Bike category when completing the online entry for the Tour. If the participant failed to register in the E-Bike category, he/she will not be allowed to compete in The Tour.
- An E-Bike may only be used by a participant in the Tour if such E-Bike adheres to ALL of the following requirements:
1. It weighs less than 40 kg.
2. It looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion.
3. It is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor that has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W or 0.25kW.
4. The motorised assistance that only engages when the participant is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the (bicycle) reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e., no permanently powered bicycles).
5. It is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric-powered speed (on PAS mode) to 25 km/h.
6. Is fitted with all the safety equipment recommended, and/or required under South African road traffic legislation, for normal pedal bicycles.
7. An E-Bike participant may not start or attempt to start the Tour before his/her designated start group. Any participant who does/attempts to do so will be disqualified with immediate effect and will not be permitted to apply for reinstatement in current or future Tour races.
8. An E-Bike participant will be disqualified if the race is completed at a recording time of less than 3hr 50min (is time correct?) .
9. E-Bike results will be marked as such in RaceTec results and may not be used for seeding for other cycling events.
10. Participants using E-Bikes will not qualify for any prize in the Tour.
- If entrants are unable to take part in the event and wish to have their entry substituted entrant must send a substitution email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18h00 the Thursday before the Tour, alternatively in person at the pre-race registration venues or prior to the start of the Tour. The substitute entrant must pay an administration fee of R55.
- Refund of any monies relating to the substitution is not the responsibility of the organisers.
- Communication on Tour related matters will be done by e-mail or SMS. It is each entrant’s responsibility to keep their contact details up to date by contacting the organizers on email@example.com. All contact details will be retained for 5 years since the last entry on the Tour database. Information will be utilised to communicate future Tour races.
(Participants) consent to the use of all photographic or video material pertaining to their participation in the Tour made by the organizers or their assignees during any activity deemed to be part of it.
- The organiser reserves the right to refuse any person’s entry or cancel any person’s entry up to the day before the Tour. In that event the person’s entry fee will be refunded.
- Entrant warrants that he/she has not been suspended or banned from participating in the Tour.
- Late entries will be accepted on the morning of the event. Additional provision will then have to be made for the purchasing of a CSA (Cycling South Africa) day licence. The day licence is purchased by the Participant via Cycle events on-line portal.
- All entry fees for the 99ER are non-refundable and non-transferable under all circumstances, including, but not limited to, cancellation of the 99ER or of the rider’s participation, or change in the date, nature, or format of the 99ER. The event can be cancelled by the Tour organisers for any reason that may affect the safety of (participants).
SAFETY and GENERAL RULES FOR THE TOUR
- The organiser reserves the right to cancel, re-route or stop the race at any stage should they consider in the best interest of the participants.
- Every participant may only walk or ride a human powered vehicle.
- A participant shall not ride a bicycle, tandem or E-bike fitted with triathlon-, time trial or “Spinachi”-type bars, aerobics, clip-ons, prayer bars and cowbars.
- Every participant shall ride the full Tour course or retire.
- Every participant will safeguard and will always remain responsible for all personal equipment/belongings used or not used in the Tour
- Participants are required to complete the Tour course before the published race cut-off time to be awarded a result unless the Tour organisers determine otherwise on the day of the event. This time is calculated from the time the participant’s group crosses the start line.
- For participants safety and in line with the requirements of the City of Cape Town a cut-off point has been established along the route and is published as part of the race basic information on the race website (www.99er.co.za). If a participant reaches a cut-off point after the specified time, they will not be permitted to continue the route and the participant will be directed to follow a shorter route to the race control venue.
- Winners of the various categories will be determined by race entry number and timing chip record as determined by Racetec and these results will be final. All E-bike entrants are excluded.
All participants must:
- Ride carefully and with due regard to the safety of other cyclists and other road users.
- Wear a bicycle helmet with the strap securely fastened under his/her chin.
- Obey all traffic regulations and immediately comply with the instructions of a Tour marshal and/or a traffic officer.
- Be responsible for the proper control of his/her bicycle.
- Make way for emergency vehicles.
- Keep as far to the left of the road surface as is safe having regard to the circumstances and conditions.
- Pull off the road to obtain refreshments or to do repairs, by clearly signalling his/her intention to do so.
- At all times display his/her race number legibly and ensure it is pinned on to the back of his/her shirt.
- Identify him-/herself and give his/her address on request to a Tour marshal and to any other rider requesting such information after a collision or race incident.
- Provide reasonable assistance to any other rider involved in an accident while participating in the Tour.
- Wear clothing appropriate for a family event always.
- If you are Elite-, Ladies- and veteran group riders, in addition, comply with all applicable UCI rules and regulations which can be found at www.cyclingsa.com.
All participants may not:
- Use a personal music system, e.g. iPod, or a radio communication device, including a cellular phone, whilst riding, except that members of professional teams may use a radio communication device if in accordance with UCI rules and regulations which can be found at www.cyclingsa.com.
- Ride with another participant’s number or timing chip without adhering to the substitution procedure. A person who has entered shall not give his/her number and/or timing chip to another person to use.
- Use foul or offensive language or make offensive, indecent or inappropriate gestures.
- Dispose of any litter along the route except in refuse bins.
- Ride in reverse direction on the route, even after finishing.
- Participate whilst under the influence of alcohol or any drug or medication that prevents or might prevent a rider from properly controlling his/her bicycle.
- Display on his/her bicycle, clothing and cycling equipment any writing, logo or item that is offensive or that may bring the Tour into disrepute, as determined by the Tour Organising Committee.
- Start or attempt to start before his/her designated start group.
SANCTION FOR CONTRAVENTION OF THE RULES
- Every participant entering the Tour consents to his/her name and/or number being publicly displayed and publicized (including on the internet) if he/she is disqualified.
- A participant may be disqualified summarily without a hearing by any either a member of the El Shaddai Christian School Board, as overseers of the event; or by another person authorized by the Tour Organising Committee.
- Such summary disqualification may be done immediately or after the finish of the Tour.
- In the event that a participant is aggrieved by a summary disqualification he/she may request in writing to the Tour Organising Committee within 3 (three) days of being informed of the summary disqualification to be reinstated. The grievance procedure will then be clarified. Such a participant may supplement such a request for reinstatement in the event of him/her receiving further information at a later time.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY & WAIVER
- Each participant acknowledges the risks and hazards, which exist in an event of this nature, and voluntarily assumes the risk of attendance and participation in the Tour.
- Each participant attends, enters and/or participates in the event entirely at his/her own risk.
- Any reasonable medical or emergency evacuation costs incurred on behalf of a participant by virtue of participating in the Tour will be for the cost of the participant.
- Each participant is obliged to strictly adhere to all applicable rules, directives and instructions of the organizers in respect of the event.
- Each participant accepts that the Tour Organising Committee, the sponsors, the advertisers, any local authority, all affiliates and support personnel (hereinafter referred to as ENTITIES) accept no responsibility or liability for and agree to hereby agree to waive any right to any claim of whatsoever nature and howsoever arising in relation to the Tour event and indemnify the ENTITIES from and against, any loss, damage, injury, disability, death, expense, cost or liability of whatsoever nature suffered by the rider, his/her estate and/or his/her dependants which in any manner, in whole or in part, arise directly or indirectly from his/her participation in the Tour event or any of the activities associated therewith or incidental thereto, use of facilities and/or amenities or by reason of defective material or equipment or by way of any human or mechanical error, default or failure or from any other cause whatsoever.